Re-watching Joe Biden’s disastrous Anita Hill hearing: A sexual harassment inquisitionBreaking News
tags: Joe Biden, sex scandals, sexual harassment, Anita Hill
Sen. Joseph R. Biden, then chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, lost control of the biggest moment yet in his political career — the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings — moments after Anita Hill finished describing what the Supreme Court nominee said about his penis.
With Americans glued to their TVs, chaos broke out in the Caucus Room of the Russell Office Building as Hill’s family, which had somehow not made it into the packed room for her opening statement, began trickling in — one after another after another.
“It’s a very large family,” Hill said.
Biden, a 48-year-old Democrat from Delaware who had already made one unsuccessful run for the presidency, watched, growing increasingly helpless.
comments powered by Disqus
- How Minneapolis made Prince
- This Art Was Looted 123 Years Ago. Will It Ever Be Returned?
- 75 Years After Auschwitz Liberation, Worry That ‘Never Again’ Is Not Assured
- Marker will honor civil rights activist Fannie Lou Hamer
- The Titanic Wreck Will Now Be Protected Under a 'Momentous Agreement' With the U.S.
- The Future of the Academy at the Association of American Colleges and Universities
- The Way We Write History Has Changed
- Rethinking How We Train Historians
- Building a digital archive for decaying paper documents, preserving centuries of records about enslaved people
- The Radical Lives of Abolitionists