Should Historians Be Pundits? An interview with Ibram X. Kendi, Nicole Hemmer and Michael KazinHistorians in the News
tags: elitism, pundits, op eds, experts, expertise
Related Link Are Historians Pundits? By Clare Spark
Ibram X. Kendi is a professor of international relations in the School of International Service and a professor of history at the College of Arts and Sciences at American University. He is the author of Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America, which won the 2016 National Book Award for Nonfiction.
Nicole Hemmer is an assistant professor in presidential studies at the Miller Center at the University of Virginia and co-editor of the Washington Post's Made by History.
Michael Kazin is a professor of history at Georgetown University and the editor of Dissent.
They were interviewed by the History News Network's Rick Shenkman on January 5, 2018 at the annual meeting of the American Historical Association after appearing on a panel convened to discuss the issues raised last summer in an op ed in the New York Times by Harvard's Moshik Temkin, "Historians Shouldn’t Be Pundits."
Below we've curated a collection of representative tweets posted during the session.
comments powered by Disqus
- History Says Bloomberg 2020 Would Be a Sure Loser
- Then and now: How Trump impeachment hearing is different
- Poland asks Netflix to make changes to documentary about Nazi death camp guard
- What is a caliph? The Islamic State tries to boost its legitimacy by hijacking a historic institution
- Russian Historian Professor, Found With Bag of Severed Arms, Admits He Killed Student
- Black Perspectives Publishes Online Forum: "Researching, Teaching, and Embodying the Black Diaspora"
- Distinguished professor, civil war historian James I. “Bud” Robertson Jr. passes away
- Noel Ignatiev, scholar who called for abolishing whiteness, dies at 78
- Historians Elizabeth Catte, Rebecca Solnit, and Peniel Joseph Quoted in Washington Post Article, "The Democrats Are Moving Left. Will America Follow?"
- When Southern Historians Made History Themselves