History professor’s constant "dumb blonde" remarks forced me to dye my hair, claims Stony Brook student in lawsuitHistorians in the News
tags: sexism, Stony Brook University, Erin Mosier, Sexual Discrimination
An ex-Stony Brook University student says her undergraduate advisor called her a “dumb blonde” so often that she became a brunette just to shut him up.
Erin Mosier, 24, made the claim in a Manhattan federal court lawsuit that accuses Stony Brook history professor Larry Frohman — who was her teacher and academic advisor — of sexually discriminating against her.
“You have to prove to me you are not just an airhead dumb blonde with a pretty face,” Frohman once told Mosier in front of the student’s mother, the lawsuit said.
“Can you get through all of your blonde?” Frohman told Mosier once when she asked him to explain an issue after class, the lawsuit claims.
Frohman’s repeated remarks about Mosier’s brassy locks made her “so uncomfortable with her appearance that she changed her hair color from blonde to brown,” according to the Manhattan federal court. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- History Says Bloomberg 2020 Would Be a Sure Loser
- Then and now: How Trump impeachment hearing is different
- Poland asks Netflix to make changes to documentary about Nazi death camp guard
- What is a caliph? The Islamic State tries to boost its legitimacy by hijacking a historic institution
- Russian Historian Professor, Found With Bag of Severed Arms, Admits He Killed Student
- Black Perspectives Publishes Online Forum: "Researching, Teaching, and Embodying the Black Diaspora"
- Distinguished professor, civil war historian James I. “Bud” Robertson Jr. passes away
- Noel Ignatiev, scholar who called for abolishing whiteness, dies at 78
- Historians Elizabeth Catte, Rebecca Solnit, and Peniel Joseph Quoted in Washington Post Article, "The Democrats Are Moving Left. Will America Follow?"
- When Southern Historians Made History Themselves