Texas Republicans criticized for their Holocaust Remembrance Day message: ‘Leftism kills’Breaking News
tags: Holocaust, memory, anti-Semitism, Republicans, historical knowledge
Like so many seeking to recognize International Holocaust Remembrance Day, the Harris County Republican Party posted a message to Facebook on Sunday.
It included a somber image of a candle and a star-shaped yellow badge, the symbol the Nazis forced Jewish people to wear during the Holocaust to identify and psychologically isolate them.
The GOP chapter then added its own note: “Leftism kills,” the caption began. “In memory of the 6 million Jews lost to Nazi hatred in the name of National Socialism. We will never forget.”
Many decried the post as offensive and accused the group of politicizing one of history’s greatest atrocities.
“Hijacking the holocaust for political points all while engaging in revisionist history is disgusting,” one Facebook user wrote.
comments powered by Disqus
- Washington History Seminar TODAY: Claudio Saunt's "Unworthy Republic"
- The Bonnie and Richard Reiss Graduate Institute for Constitutional History Seminar Spring 2021 Session (Virtual)
- Hank Aaron's Lasting Impact is Measured in More than Home Runs
- Hank Aaron's 715th, Called by Vin Scully
- Washington Must Treat White Supremacist Terrorism as a Transnational Threat
- How Versailles Still Haunts the World
- Virtual Event: Sarah Miller-Davenport: Gateway State: Hawai’i and Cultural Transformation of American Empire, FEB. 1
- Virtual Event: Joan Wallach Scott's "On the Judgment of History" FRIDAY JAN. 29
- How Tuskegee Airmen Fought Military Segregation With Nonviolent Action
- What the History of the Ku Klux Klan Can Teach Us about the Capitol Riot