John Richardson, Art Historian and Picasso Biographer, Is Dead at 95Historians in the News
tags: Picasso, art history, John Richardson
John Richardson, the British-born art historian and curator who devoted more than a quarter century to writing a monumental four-volume biography of Pablo Picasso, died on Tuesday at his home in Manhattan while still at work on the final installment. He was 95.
His death was confirmed by Shelley Wanger, his editor at Alfred A. Knopf.
In a seven-decade career, Mr. Richardson wore about as many hats in the art world as anyone could. Along with being a historian and curator, he was at various times an artist himself, a dealer, an industrial designer, an auction-house executive and a collector.
Self-taught but possessing an unfailing eye and impeccable taste, he could spot a misattributed painting at an auction or zero in on the only gem among piles of junk at a flea market.
He also collected a wide circle of friends, including artists — Picasso, Georges Braque, Francis Bacon, Lucian Freud, Andy Warhol — as well as writers: Jean Cocteau, W. H. Auden, Nancy Mitford and Tennessee Williams. A celebrated raconteur, he was described by W magazine as “the man all New York wants to sit beside at dinner.”
comments powered by Disqus
- How the Little Ice Age Changed History
- Trump Administration to Turn Over Trove of Declassified Records to Argentina on Human Rights Violations Committed During Military Dictatorship
- To Understand The History Of Elite College Admissions, Just Follow The Money
- A Brief History of the Golan Heights, Claimed by Israel and Syria
- The warped history that fuels right-wing terrorism
- Justin Rose's New Book explores how Martin Luther King Jr. transformed the Christian notion of service into a politically salient concept
- Margaret MacMillan, History Professor Emeritus at Oxford University, Gives Warnings from history for Brexit Britain
- The Historian Who Thinks Donald Trump Is a Movie Hero
- In Memoriam: Joe Miller, Ground-Breaking Historian
- The Women Highlighting Women's History in Feminist Travel Guides