Learn About the Fashion History of NYC in New DocumentaryBreaking News
tags: New York, urban history, fashion, documentary
Although many of us are not stressing about our work outfits or our going-out attire while in isolation, Ariel Viera, the founder of Urbanist, is releasing his first documentary on Urbanist about the history of fashion in New York City tonight on Facebook and YouTube. Viera combined his three passions of filmmaking, urban exploration, and history for his six-part documentary, which focuses on a $2.4 trillion industry that has spread ideas of self-expression and female and LGBTQ+ empowerment.
“[The documentary] is about the history of fashion in NYC from sweatshops in LES to the heyday of the Garment District to independent designers across the five boroughs,” Viera said. In addition to speaking with LIM Professors, Viera filmed exhibitions at the Tenement Museum and worked with the Council of Fashion Designers of America to explore the history of garment manufacturing. His documentary focuses on fashion in all five boroughs from the 1860s to today.
The documentary features interviews with 10 acclaimed experts in fashion history and business, including Eric Sauma, the owner of Mood Designer Fabrics, and LIM College Professor Sally Shapiro. Viera focuses on how fashion influenced life in the tenements on the Lower East Side, the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory, the Ladies Mile Historic District, and the Garment District. The documentary also analyzes New York’s fashion scene today and questions whether or not New York will stay a fashion capital alongside London, Paris, and Milan.
comments powered by Disqus
- Hank Aaron's Lasting Impact is Measured in More than Home Runs
- Hank Aaron's 715th, Called by Vin Scully
- Washington Must Treat White Supremacist Terrorism as a Transnational Threat
- Charlottesville Inspired Biden to Run. Now It Has a Message for Him
- Biden Revokes Trump Report Promoting "Patriotic Education"
- How Tuskegee Airmen Fought Military Segregation With Nonviolent Action
- What the History of the Ku Klux Klan Can Teach Us about the Capitol Riot
- Reconstruction Era Expert On Why Politicians Use Terms Unity And Healing
- The COVID-19 Vaccination Drive May be Slow—But it’s Already Faster than Any in History
- Operation Desert Shirt