SOURCE: NY Times
by Margaret O’Mara
A merit-based system for hiring federal employees was created in reaction to the rampant corruption of the Gilded Age.
SOURCE: The Daily Beast
by Ronald Radosh
The American right has advanced nutty conspiracy theories for decades. But the one we’re about to see play out will make Joe McCarthy look like an amateur.
When he feared communists were infiltrating America, Larry McDonald took extreme measures — building his own intelligence-gathering arm.
by Julian Zelizer
Trump has done more than anyone else to bring the fringe conspiracy concept of a "deep state" into the mainstream, with the help of his son Donald Jr.
- Merrittocracy with Keri Leigh Merritt: Kevin Kruse on the 2020 Election
- Radical Protests Propelled the Suffrage Movement. Here’s How a New Museum Captures That History
- Not Every U.S. Presidential Race Has Been Decided on Election Day. Here’s What to Know About America’s History of Contested Elections
- Control, Alter, Delete:Hong Kong Activists and Academics are Hurrying to Digitize Historical Records
- Voter Fraud, Suppression and Partisanship: A Look at the 1876 Election