SOURCE: BBC News
John Fratta, from the Order of the Sons of Italy, says the apology is about making people more aware of the episode - particularly because "they don't teach this in schools".
SOURCE: The Washington Post
by Louis P. Masur
A century of political organizing could not overcome a powerful tool of white supremacy — until now.
Lethal attacks on U.S. Jews in their homeland have been very rare, with Saturday’s mass shooting in Pittsburgh more than doubling the total number of fatalities – but white supremacists have targeted the community over the years.
SOURCE: New Yorker
by Jeffrey Toobin
In Alabama, Bryan Stevenson is saving inmates from execution and memorializing the darkest episodes of America’s past.
SOURCE: Equal Justice Initiative
Lynching in America makes the case that lynching of African Americans was terrorism, a widely supported phenomenon used to enforce racial subordination and segregation.
by Carole Emberton
In the immediate aftermath of the Civil War, white Southerners lashed out with homicidal rage against their former bondsmen.
- Santae Tribble, Whose Wrongful Conviction Revealed FBI Forensic Hair Match Flaws, Dies at 59
- Crowd Rallies to Keep Confederate Memorial in Downtown St. Augustine
- As Divisions Threaten America, The Pressure To Cancel Presidents Is Dangerous
- Trump is Going All In on Divisive Culture Wars. That Might not Work this Time.
- Redskins, Indians and the Long Push to Drop Native American Mascots
- How to Confront a Racist National History
- The Politics of Race are Shifting, and Politicians are Struggling to Keep Pace
- Trump’s Push to Amplify Racism Unnerves Republicans who have Long Enabled Him
- The Day the White Working Class Turned Republican (Review)
- David Starkey Criticised over Slavery Comments